Monday, January 23, 2017

What is Reflexology?

Reflexology is a form of bodywork that focuses primarily on the feet. The underlying theory behind Reflexology is that there are "reflex" areas on the feet and hands that correspond to specific organs, glands, and other parts of the body. It’s based on the premise that all nerves of the spinal cord connect from the top of the head to the feet. The toes reflect the head, the ball of the foot reflects the heart and chest, the arch of the foot the liver, pancreas, and kidney, etc.

Early Practitioners believed that applying pressure to these reflex areas could promote health in the corresponding organs through energetic pathways. Dr. William H. Fitzgerald, an ear, nose and throat physician introduced this concept in 1915. Eunice Ingram, a physiotherapist further developed it in the 1930's into what is called Reflexology. More recently, Dr Jesus Manzanares has established the neurophysiological basis of reflexology. His work has demonstrated that deposits that are being rubbed out on the feet have a higher nerve fiber and vascular element than similar appearing hypodermis level deposits. His research has further defined the communication pathways involved in Reflexology. To learn more about his work go to www.manzanaresmethod.com

I went to Reflexology because I was frustrated with my Asthma and my dependence on inhalers. My chest felt congested most of the time, with a constant awareness of decreased lung capacity. I had been trying to exercise but I needed to be able to breath better to exercise. My body felt disconnected. I really wanted this treatment to work, as my therapist was rubbing on my feet I tried to figure out which organ connection she was rubbing on based on the sensations in my body. I could identify when she hit the zone for my lungs because I inadvertently took a deep breath that seemed free of restriction. I could tell when she was working on my pelvis because I would get a muscle spasm that would ripple through my abdomen, it felt like an internal stretching or flexing of unknown muscles and tissues, an unwinding of a knot. With each session I became more aware of the internal workings of my body. I always left a session feeling very relaxed like I had just had a warm internal shower, relaxed and content but revitalized. In one session my therapist was rubbing on the inside edge of my foot, in a new area, and she said “I just went to a seminar and learned something new; did you have a trauma 12 years ago, maybe a car accident?” I said, “No, never been in a serious car accident..” As soon as the words were out I felt propelled into the past, and I was sitting in my car white knuckling the steering wheel, feeling like I wanted to scream, driving to work at 10:30pm very unhappy with my life. I was thinking, “my stress level is at a 9.5/10 and I don’t know how to fix it.” I was very frustrated and disappointed in myself; “Why couldn’t I deal better with my situation?” I was working 50-60 hours a week rotating days and nights, my husband was unemployed, we were remodeling our house, I had 3 small children plus a foster child, and 6 people were sleeping in 2 rooms. I suddenly realized that anyone in that situation would have probably felt stressed and I was not deficient for having a hard time dealing with it. I could suddenly appreciate that anyone might feel out of control in this situation. As I “forgave” myself for my feelings of inadequacy, the dream evaporated and so did the stress. Poof it was gone, I felt over exposed, raw, but cleansed. My therapist was unaware of where my mind had been, and the stress that was released, she was still rubbing my feet.


I’ve been told that Reflexology can open nerve connections, remove blockages, and sluggish communication between the brain and internal organs. I’ve been told that we can store emotional dilemmas in our connective tissue, like scar tissue or a cyst, so we don’t have to maintain it in the forefront of our minds. In my mind I can imagine that Reflexology can find these scars or cysts and free them at a time when we are safe in our current situation and have the ability to realize that it’s OK to let them go. Reflexology leaves behind an increased awareness of who I am; an increased connection to the internal workings of my body. It feels like I’ve checked in with my organs and tissues and fine- tuned the electrical system of my body. To find a Reflexologist in your area go to www.integratedreflexologistsofwi.org

No comments:

Post a Comment